Are you interested in furthering your career? Obtaining your CDA Credential is the first step!
What is the CDA?
The Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential™ is the most widely recognized credential in Early Childhood Education (ECE) and is a key stepping stone on the path of career advancement in Early Childhood Education.
The Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential™ is based on a core set of competency standards, which guide early care professionals as they work toward becoming qualified teachers of young children. The CDA Council works to ensure that the nationally-transferable CDA is a credible and valid credential, recognized by the profession as a vital part of professional development.
Let KCCTO help you obtain all of your training hours, assist in developing your portfolio, and prepare you for the verification visit by a CDA Professional Development Specialist. For further information about what to do first, contact Haley Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org), CDA Resource Specialist.
Benefits of the CDA include:
- Advance your career
- Meet job requirements
- Reinforce your commitment to early childhood education
- Provide parents with peace of mind
- Understand developmentally appropriate practice
- Increase your confidence
Who can obtain a CDA?
- Any child care provider/early childhood educator who has 480 Hours of experience working with children within the past 3 years. Candidate must be able to speak, read and write English well enough to fulfill the responsibilities of a CDA Candidate
How does the CDA work?
Earning your CDA is a big commitment, but one that creates confident child care professionals with command of today's best practices for teaching young children. CDA requirements include:
- Complete 120 hours early childhood courses within 8 Subject Areas
- Completed Professional Portfolio
- Complete Family Questionnaires
- Complete a Verification Visit from a CDA Professional Development Specialist, which includes a Review of the Professional Portfolio, Observation within the classroom environment, and a Reflective Dialogue.
- Complete the CDA Exam at a Pearson Vue testing center
What assistance does KCCTO offer?
KCCTO's CDA Training Track
This opportunity is available to CDA Applicants who have completed the KCCTO Online course Orientation to the Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential. Once applicants have completed this course, they can enroll in the KCCTO CDA Training Track. Individuals enrolled in this program receive an Individualized Professional Development Plan designed to help them obtain the required training hours at a flexible pace, with phone, email, and/or face-to-face support from KCCTO's CDA Resource Specialist.
The CDA Training Track has the following payment options:
- One-time payment of $120: provides access to up to 16 clock hours of online training per month
-Individuals needing all or a majority of the required 120 hours may find this payment option most beneficial.
- Monthly payment of $15: provides access to up to 12 clock hours of online training per month
-Individuals who prefer smaller payments or who have many training hours already completed may find this payment option most beneficial.
For assistance in choosing a payment option and for additional enrollment information, contact Haley Anderson, CDA Resource Specialist by email or by calling 800.227.3578.
How to Register for the CDA Training Track
Due to a high volume of applicants, the CDA Training Track is not currently taking new applications. For additional information, please contact Haley Anderson, CDA Resource Specialist by email or by calling 800.227.3578.
1. Submit any previous training or transcripts to receive assistance in choosing a payment option for your CDA Training Track.
2. Submit your CDA Training Track Enrollment Form by:
A. Downloading the PDF CDA Training Track Enrollment Form (available below) and submitting the form by email or mail.
B. Clicking the link below to enroll and pay for the CDA Training Track online. (NOTE: Supervisor information and electronic signature is required for applicants whose Training Track will be paid for by their employer/agency)
Do you need assistance obtaining the 45 clock hours of early childhood education training for your CDA Renewal? For more information about how KCCTO can support you in the CDA Renewal Process, contact Haley Anderson, CDA Resource Specialist by email or by calling 800.227.3578.
A PDF version of the CDA Renewal Training Track Application is available below.
If you have fulfilled the 120 hours of training required by the CDA Council and have completed your professional portfolio, you could be eligible for a CDA Scholarship through KCCTO. This scholarship pays the $425 application fee required by the CDA Council. Scholarships are limited to Kansas residents.
Contact Haley Anderson, CDA Resource Specialist, for assistance regarding KCCTO's CDA Scholarship. PDF versions of the scholarship applications are available below.